Is the configure script suposed to detect libncursesw ?

Hi
I'm new to this package, but I have a question.
Is the configure script provided by the package supposed to check if libncursesw is installed??
Because I tried to compile the deselect part, and in the configure fase it didn't complain. Then when I wnated to make (compile) it stoped with an error, I later found out that the problem was fixed, with installing the libncursesw-dev package. Is this a bug in the make system?

Thankyou for your reply