Re: Feature request: Reset configuration

Am 02.07.2010 13:43, schrieb Guillem Jover:
Hi!

On Sun, 2010-06-27 at 19:58:01 +0200, Daniel Bock wrote:
2. Request replacements from dpkg.
sudo dpkg -i --force-confmiss /path/to/samba-common.deb

This tells dpkg to replace missing configuration files with those
from the .deb. You might find the original package .deb in
/var/cache/apt/archives, or you can use a fresh copy of the same
version from your distribution's repositories.

dpkg -i --force-confnew foo.deb

That flag only forces dpkg to overwrite the config file if it would
otherwise have asked for permission to do so. It does not make it
magically recreate pristine config files from the package.
It seems to be an important feature and I propose you to implement
this option to magically make the configuration of an package
pristine. Come on, everybody will be happy about such feature.
I might have missed something but isn't:

   $ dpkg --force-confmiss --force-confnew -i foo.deb

what you are looking for (given the patch you've sent)?

(Regardless of the prospective dpkg-conffile support etc).

regards,
guillem
Hi,

No, it's definitely not.

--force-confmiss --force-confnew

are just for file conflicts, which are not handled automatically.

Edit your

/etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf

and try your command. It won't be replaced.

Regards,
Daniel Bock