Re: (not) simplifying dpkg-shlibdeps with readelf

On Thu, Apr 22, 2010, Jonathan Nieder wrote:
>  - readelf is tiny and works for all ELF targets.
>    By contrast, multi-target objdump is large and its Debian package
>    only supports the targets that were considered worth the trouble
>    when it was last built.

 I guess you mean binutils-multiarch here; I submitted a patch in Debian
 #578365 to use a cross-objdump when cross-building.  I expect objdump
 or cross-objdump should support the binaries which you're about to ship
 in a .deb.  The only other case I can think of is when a package's
 build calls a non-default (cross-)compiler to generate a specific file,
 e.g. a firmware, in which case it might not be ELF at all.

> [1] To discover SONAME, NEEDED, RUNPATH, and RPATH, one could parse
> ‘eu-readelf --dynamic $file’ output.

 You might want to consider symbols as well as to have dpkg-shlibdeps
 and dpkg-gensymbols rely on the same underlying tool.

--
Loïc Minier