Re: dpkg 1.15.6 is slow as hell

On 2010-03-21 10:10 +0100, Guillem Jover wrote:

> I implemented this and in my tests with linux-headers-2.6.32-4-common
> (which contains around 2500 files) on ext3 it reduced the installation
> times from 12~ to 5~ seconds (with warm cache).
>
> Could you guys test it on ext4, preferably on such systems which are
> taking now over an hour to unpack the package?

It is even faster here, only ~2.5 seconds with a hot cache and ~8 with a
cold cache.

As for the case that started the thread, installing emacs23-common takes
~6 seconds with a hot cache, about the same time as with dpkg 1.15.5.6.
I'm going to keep this dpkg version installed, the massive speedup
reading the database with a cold cache is indeed very nice. :-(

Note that while I'm using ext4 and I had noticed a massive slowdown in
dpkg 1.15.6, it was nowhere as pathological as the one reported by Scott
James Remnant.

Sven