Re: Enhancing 3.0 (git) source package format

Tollef Fog Heen <tfheen@err.no> writes:

> Whether git.d.o is up or not does not help me if I'm at the end of tiny
> link.  Also, if we go with my claim that source (in the «preferred form
> for modification» sense) includes history, it means you need to ship the
> history somehow.  Saying «it's on git.d.o» doesn't help you then.  The
> suggestion to use a bundle would probably be a good enough start.  I'd
> like to be able to just apt-get source foo ; cd foo-* ; git log though,
> but having to git clone the bundle is something I guess I can live with.

I think a full implementation of a 3.0 (git) format that uses bundles
would include support in dpkg-source, so that when you unpack a 3.0 (git)
package (such as with apt-get source), dpkg-source would take care of
setting up the Git repository from the bundle for you.  This is similar to
how dpkg-source handles applying patches in 3.0 (quilt) packages.