Re: Enhancing 3.0 (git) source package format

Goswin von Brederlow <goswin-v-b@web.de> writes:
> Tollef Fog Heen <tfheen@err.no> writes:

>> I think this would be a mistake.  I'm increasingly considering a full
>> git clone the source of my software (in the «preferred form of
>> modification») and so having dpkg able to natively consume and produce
>> that preferred form would be very useful.

> Isn't your prefered form to git clone/uppdate/merge from the actual
> repository used by the maintainer?

> A copy of the maintainers repository as it was 2 years ago (think
> stable) is not as usefull as a fresh clone.

It is when package maintainers orphan packages and rm -rf all their Git
repositories, such as just happened recently with a pile of Debian
packages.  If those packages had been 3.0 (git) packages, a new maintainer
would be in much better shape.

I would similarly like to use 3.0 (git) for all of my packages.  I think
it's the best direction going forward.  It avoids problems with Git
repositories disappearing, maybe being on only one server that loses a
hard drive, or otherwise becoming inaccessible, and provided that the
package includes just the compressed repository and not a checkout, the
additional space consumption is minimal.  The source packages may actually
be smaller if we used something like pristine-tar to handle the upstream
orig.tar.gz file.

>> I don't see why you would do one or the otherrather than both?  Being
>> able to do git log and such on the result of an apt-get-ed package is
>> quite useful, without having to wait for a random upstream git
>> repository that might not be available.

> Is it? Do you actualy do that?

I don't know because there aren't any 3.0 (git) packages.  I would.

> And we do have git.debian.org with high availability. It should not be a
> random upstream git that might or might not be there. Make it a reliable
> repository that will be there.

Not everyone wants to host all Git repositories for their Debian packages
on git.debian.org.  I don't, for instance; for many of them, I want to
host the Debian packaging in a branch on the same repository used for
upstream development.