Re: An introduction to multiarch

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 03:48:24PM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> writes:
> > I don't think this configuration belongs to apt, I think it belongs to dpkg.
> I disagree, at least to a degree.

Me too.

>                                    qemu-powerpc (or whatever it would
> be called) would add ppc to the list of executable architectures
> (however dpkg will allow that) and setup the binfmt-misc stuff needed
> to run powerpc binaries in qemu.

I don't even need the possibility to execute the binaries. The
possibility to compile or link against them exists without.

>                                  If the admin runs "dpkg -i
> foo_i386_1.2-3.deb" on amd64 then I assume he does want that i386 deb
> even if he hasn't configured multiarch for everything. I don't think
> dpkg should block that.

Yep. dpkg also don't consider several relations, apt considers
completely incompatible. Why should it be overly strict on things that
don't break anything?

Bastian

--
You can't evaluate a man by logic alone.
		-- McCoy, "I, Mudd", stardate 4513.3