Howto automate etch->lenny dist-upgrade via preseed?

I have tried stfw, reading debian documentation, man pages, the debian- users mailing list, irc.debian.org #debian - all to no avail. Help would be greatly appreciated - even just an answer explaining that what I want was ill conceived or impossible.

My goal is to automate the etch-lenny upgrade such that no manual interaction is needed for generic (non-special) systems. I have gotten this 95% of the way using debconf-get-selections and debconf-set- selections. But there are 2 categories of questions that I have been unable to pressed.

Category 1. Which services to restart after a library (eg libc6) is upgraded. There are debconf questions for this, they are just ignored when I try to set them.

Here are my ignored debconf-set-selections strings (taken from debconf- get-selections):
libpam0g	libpam0g/restart-services	string cron
libssl0.9.8	libssl0.9.8/restart-services	string	ntp exim4 ssh

examples from config.dat (post-upgrade):

Name: libssl0.9.8/restart-services
Template: libssl0.9.8/restart-services
Value: ntp ssh
Owners: libssl0.9.8
Flags: seen

Name: libpam0g/restart-services
Template: libpam0g/restart-services
Value: kdm exim4 cron atd
Owners: libpam0g
Flags: seen

Category 2. UCF (update configuration file) debconf variables - whether or not to install the package maintainer's version or keep existing.

examples from config.dat (post-upgrade):

Name: ucf/changeprompt
Template: ucf/changeprompt
Value: keep_current
Owners: ucf
Variables:
BASENAME = sensors.conf
FILE = /etc/sensors.conf

and

Name: ucf/changeprompt
Template: ucf/changeprompt
Value: install_new
Owners: ucf
Flags: seen
Variables:
BASENAME = apticron.conf
FILE = /etc/apticron/apticron.conf

Is there anyway to preseed "install_new" or "keep_current" in relation to these files? Maybe I need to use the python or perl interfaces instead of debconf-set-selections?

Thanks,
Chris