etch --> lenny dpkg selections

Hello,

I have been using dpkg --get-selections and --set-selections to replicate the client machines at work. It works super well.

Yesterday I added a new machine (lenny 5.0) and I would like to set the same packages as I have system wide, however the other machines I have are still running etch.

I see that the output of --get-selections contains the package version information so I am
wondering if that is going to be a problem.

Is there a way to specify which packages to install but not insist on the version?
What if I simply delete the column with package version?
If you could point me to some info about the --get-selections --set- selections data format, maybe I can write a script that automatically changes/deletes the version.

Yours,
  Ivan

PS: I am also interested in replicating package configurations (debconf-get-selections and DPkg::Post-Install-Pkgs) but I need to do more research on that one before I start buging you with questions...