Re: Transition from dpkg to GNU install-info

On Mi, 11 Mär 2009, Neil Williams wrote:
> What I really need, in order to test properly, is a package that can
> trigger install-info. I admit, I'm a bit unfamiliar with triggers still
> - what do I need to change in a package (say coreutils) that currently
> contains an info document and maintainer script changes, in order to
> test it with a trigger created by a patch to the experimental texinfo
> sources above?
>
> Is it a case of:
> 1. create debian/install-info.triggers in the tex source above
> 2. create a modified coreutils (for testing in a chroot) where the info
> document is part of the package, not mentioned in the maintainer
> scripts
> 3. and?

IN fact I would prefer a file trigger, showing interest in
	/usr/share/info
then every time a package drops anything into /usr/share/info the action
is triggered. No need for additional files whatsoever.

But to get this working we would have to have a way to recreate
/usr/share/info/dir from the installed info files. I have to check
(currently running windows) after rebooting if ginstall-info already has
such an option.

After that *no* action of install-info as called from maintainer
scripts would be needed.

The only problem would be with .info files that do NOT contain all
necessary information about section etc in the .info file itself.

If we want to support that we have to create say /var/adm/install-info
(not sure about the place) and packages have to drop files there.
The problem is that this would need a rebuilding of all packages, while
having a dummy install-info which does nothing all packages should still
be installable.

Hmm, I guess I have to check how I have implemented the triggers in
tex-common and do the same for install-info.

Best wishes

Norbert

FARNHAM (n.)
The feeling you get about four o'clock in the afternoon when you
haven't got enough done.
			--- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff