Re: dpkg (>= 1.15.5) fails on make check

(@guillem: sorry for duplicate, forgot to CC debian-dpkg)

Hello,

On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 03:10:41 +0100
Guillem Jover <guillem@debian.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 2009-11-17 at 13:09:51 -0600, Yuri Vasilevski wrote:

Thanks for pointing this out :-)

> BTW, now that you are handling the new release, you might want to drop
> some stuff from your ebuild:
>
>   epatch "${FILESDIR}"/${PN}-1.15.1-nls.patch #192819
>
> The translated man pages are not created with po4a and neither
> installed when NLS is disabled.

Yes, this was quite pointless, I guess it got inherited from some old
version where it was needed.

But I decided to take this opportunity and improve Gentoo's support for
NLS in dpkg's ebuild. And to help with this I'm sending a tiny
patch for dpkg to this list :-)

>   “sed -i "s:ncursesw/::" dselect/{Makefile.in,dselect.h,main.cc}
> #217046”
>
> The correct header should be detected and used now.

Yes, that was also quite pointless, and the problem is that because the
ac_cv_lib_ncursesw_initscr=no export still works, when emerged with
USE=-unicode the ebuild used the headers from ncursesw but linked
against narrow char ncurses.so (which stupid and dangerous).

So thanks for helping me notice this too!

I also made a patch for dpkg's ./configure script to accept
--disable-unicode flag that makes it to ignore ncursesw variant even if
it is installed. Sending to the list too.