Re: dpkg git does not build due to broken l10n

Hello Christian,
On Sun, Sep 06, 2009 at 08:26:33AM +0200, Christian Perrier wrote:
> Quoting Bill Allombert (Bill.Allombert@math.u-bordeaux1.fr):
> > Dear Dpkg developers and Christian,
> >
> > dpkg git repository does not build due to a problem with one
> > of the translations:
> >
> > debuild
> > po4a --no-backups --variable srcdir=../../man \
> >                 ../../man/po/po4a.cfg
> > ../../man/dpkg-shlibdeps.1:238: (po4a::man)
> > Unbalanced '<' and '>' in font modifier. Faulty message: I<Programm>B< enth???lt eine nicht\-aufl???sbare Referenz auf Symbol \fISym\fP\fB: wahrscheinlich eine Erweiterung\fP.
> > make[3]: *** [man.stamp] Error 255
>

> Hmmm, I'm not entirely sure about the right fix.
>
> Helge CC'ed, he may have an idea....

The brackets are balanced. Using the following sequence (in a
temporary build location but with current git head) everything builds
and looks fine[¹]:
  $ git clean -d -X -f
  $ autoreconf -f -i
  $ ./configure
  $ make -C po update-po
  $ make -C dselect/po update-po
  $ make -C scripts/po update-po
  $ make -C man update-po

The only difference I could think off is that I do this on stable, but
I could repeat it in an unstable chroot if necessary.

So sorry, now idea what could have happened.

Greetings

          Helge

[1] For some reason all umlauts are removed when I issue
    man -l dpkg-shlibdeps.1
    Will have to have a look in a real unstable system after the next
    upload.