Re: Dpkg without sudo

On Fri, Jun 05, 2009 at 03:13:36PM +0200, Gonsolo wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Is there a way to use dpkg without sudo? For example, I want to install
> a package but do not have superuser rights. I want then dpkg to
> recognize that and install the package in my home directory (~/bin,
> ~/share/doc, etc...) with all dependencies resolved.
>
> Thank you,

First this is more a debian-user question, second you can't do that.
Unpacking the package in ~/bin is easy, it's dpkg -x (see dpkg(1)).

But you won't be able let the maintainer scripts run, or let dpkg
maintain its dependency database, because you _have_ to be able to write
in it.

Finally, many packages will require specific system rights to work
properly (like suid bits, or just some paths being owned by some
specific users), and most likely, most of the package won't be usable if
unpacked in any other location than /.

·O·  Pierre Habouzit