Re: RFC: should there be a dpkg-edit-patch

On Sat, 02 May 2009, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> It is somewhat inconsisten when it gets created and what is put into
> it. When you have a source without quilt usage then all patches are
> listed. If you unpack a source with quilt usage then the file is not
> used.

It's created in both cases... at least with the git version of dpkg.

> If you build a source with changes then it gets created and only
> the debian-changes-version patch is listed but not the already applied
> other patches. If you rebuild without changes the
> debian-changes-version patch gets removed but the file is left empty.

However I agree that it should not be created/updated at build time
and should not result in cruft in source package only due to its
existence. I'm going to push a fix for this following your other bug
report.

> Although since I only see it mentioned as being there in the manpage
> and the fact that often it isn't there or totaly incomplete I
> don't think it would hurt much to remove it and only rely on quilts
> informations. External tools can not rely on the file in any usable
> way now.

They can rely on it to know if the patches have been applied or not
after a source extraction. quilt itself makes use of it to work both
in format 1.0 and 3.0 (quilt).

Raphaël Hertzog

Contribuez à Debian et gagnez un cahier de l'admin Debian Lenny :
http://www.ouaza.com/wp/2009/03/02/contribuer-a-debian-gagner-un-livre/