Re: Updating/replacing packages

On Thu, 16 Apr 2009 09:56:16 +0200
Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> wrote:

> On 2009-04-16 09:19 +0200, Michael B. Trausch wrote:
>
> > When I look at libboo2.0-cil's information, it says that it Depends
> > on libmono-corlib2.0-cil (>= 1.2.2.1) (my package replaces that
> > one, and the package version is 2.4), and on libmono-system2.0-cil
> > (>= 2.0) (again, my package replaces that one, and the package
> > version is 2.4).
>
> That does not work because a versioned Provides is not implemented.
> See #24394¹ and siblings.
>
> > What must a package have in its control file in order to effectively
> > supercede packages in this fashion?  From what I gather from the
> > documentation, it'd seem that what I am doing _should_ work, but
> > clearly I don't get it.
>
> Currently you need a real package to fulfill versioned dependencies.
>
> ¹ http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=24934

Okay... one way around this would be to build a bunch of empty,
versioned, "stub" packages, then.  Is there a way to tell debuild to do
that when it is processing the source?  That way, when versioned
Provides become possible, the stub packages can just be removed and it
would then (at least in theory) work fine?

The main point is not to manage 100+ splits from a single source
package, because major releases from upstream will nearly always likely
break those, though they won't break the overall package's
functionality since the package knows how to locate its own files.
Creating 100+ empty stub packages would be fine, since they would have
no content to actually manage.

	Thank you,
	Mike

--
Understand that [Blu-Ray] is the last physical format there will ever
be.