Re: What coding style should be used?

]] Ian Jackson

| As the original author, and still the author of most of the code by
| bulk, I think my view should be determinative.  It is of course a bad
| idea to reformat code in a free software project.

[...]

| > 80 chars?
|
| 79.  But many of the lines are from an older age when I used to use up
| to 90 because I was BATSHIT INSANE.  One shouldn't change those unless
| one happens to be changing the code anyway, because reformatting for
| the sake of it is always bad.

I believe this is a crucial point: It's fine to reformat code if
you're changing it anyway, but please don't reformat it just for the
heck of it (since that's problematic wrt bisecting and such).

(Oh, and I disagree with your formatting, but I'm not a dpkg
developer, just a patch contributor, so I'm not going to stir that
pot, not now at least.)

--
Tollef Fog Heen