Re: New Multi-Arch field, architectures conffile and syntax questions

On Fri, 27 Jun 2008, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> > Given that, the best is probably to add a configuration variable in
> > /etc/apt/apt.conf.
>
> Dpkg already checks for the right architecture. I just extended
> that. Removing the check is also an option.

Or only accept default architecture by default and have APT use
--force-architecture ?

> >> dir      = /var/lib/dpkg/info/
> >> filename = libfoo.type			for all and primary architecture
> >> filename = libfoo.arch.type		for other architectures
> >>
> >> Since '.' is allowed in package names I suggest using '_' as
> >> sperarator at a minimum.
> >
> > I agree that the current implementation does not work for package with a
> > dot in their name. If we switch to ':' to specify the architecture in
> > an apt line, I suggest to also use it here.
>
> Aren't there some filesystems that have problems with : in names? hint,
> hint :)

Well, apt stores files with ":" inside, so it's not a real problem.
And for the structure, I would suggest
/var/lib/dpkg/info/<arch>/libfoo.type, you're still compatible with
what's existing (the default arch should still use /var/lib/dpkg/info
directly) and you can store your new files.

Raphaël Hertzog