Re: Another multiarch decision

On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 01:32:47AM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I cleaned up some more of the old multiarch patches and hit another
> spot where a decision must be made:

> Unpacking libhello/i386 (from .../libhello/libhello_1.0_i386.deb) ...
> dpkg: error processing /home/mrvn/src/libhello/libhello_1.0_i386.deb (--install):
>  trying to overwrite `/usr/share/doc/libhello/changelog.gz', which is also in package libhello/amd64
>
> Every package must have a changelog and copyright and many also have a
> Readme and NEWS file. Those and any other files in doc will collide
> for multiarch.
>
> Dpkg could rename the files for the non native architecture by
> prefixing them with the architecture, e.g.
> /usr/share/doc/libhello/i386_changelog.gz
> or
> /usr/share/doc/libhello/i386/changelog.gz

I don't really like this idea, this will most probably confuse the user,
while also probably duplicating data.

At some point it has been decided to provide a -common package for every
package converted to multiarch, containing changelog, README, NEWS, and
probably more thinks like man pages, info pages, etc.

Then multiarch package could simply add a link from
/usr/share/doc/package to /usr/share/doc/package-common, and we should
change dpkg to allow a symlink to be overrided by another if both point
to the same location.

What do you think?