Re: Required dpkg version in build-essential

On Tue, 24 Jun 2008, Matthias Klose wrote:
> > Why do you want a versioned dependency in the first place?
>
> because it depends on variable names found in
> /usr/share/dpkg/archtable and introduced in 1.13.5.

Ok.

> > Why would you need a specific version of dpkg?
>
> I take this as answer that no specific version greater than 1.13.5 is
> required.

Given that buildd run the latest (or at least a recent) version of the
package in the suite they're building for and that packages have to
build-depend on corresponding dpkg-dev versions when they make use of new
features, I don't see a reason to increase the dependency in
build-essential.

When we use new source formats by default, it might be a reason to ensure
that everybody has a dpkg recent enough to support the newer formats
but until then, I'd keep it as is.

If Guillem or anyone else see a reason to increase the dependency, they'll
speak up I guess.

Raphaël Hertzog