Re: Default value for CFLAGS/LDFLAGS set by dpkg

On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 09:03:07AM +0000, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> I'd like to suggest an intermediary solution: we don't revert the feature
> but we remove the default value for LDFLAGS. I think that most run-time
> and build-time failures have been caused by the change on this variable.
>
> Does that seem acceptable? For lenny+1, we can reintroduce the original
> default value.

  I believe it to be the reasonable course of actions. For those
following at home, LDFLAGS default value was proposed to be
-Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions. If that's a safe idea for sloppily written
libraries, it adds nothing to those already using symbol versioning
where it can *only* break things.

  The *VERY* nasty part about that change is that it not only breaks
things at build-time (that thanks to lucas or constant reuploads of some
important packages) is easy to spot, it also breaks things at *runtime*
for libraries that *mean* their users to fiddle with their symbols (like
the glibc sometimes does, as it guards its vital parts using internal
symbols only when needed).

  For those reasons, I believe that changing LDFLAGS default when we
should be freezing Base to be the worst idea ever (even if with python
and perl still missing, freezing Base will probably be delayed ?). This
change comes way too late, and will need proper transitioning so that
library packages can adapt in time.

  People (and I say that as a general remark, not really specifically
addressed to you), we want to release in 6 months, please *stop hurting
the essential toolchain*. TIA.

  Though, for lenny+1, once proper communication to d-d-a and real
migration plans for this policy change have been communicated, I'm all
for it, for it allow to implement many parts of the policy thanks to
dpkg-dev (noopt and nostrip [0]) instead of duplicating that bit of code
in every single debian/rules.

  [0] of course it won't work for some build-system, but it will for
      many sane onces.
--
·O·  Pierre Habouzit