Re: dpkg semi-hijack - an announcement (also, triggers)

On Sun March 9 2008 14:46:50 Cyril Brulebois wrote:
> On 09/03/2008, Mike Bird wrote:
> > Ian hijacked his own program back from the people who had been
> > blocking updates for six months - including the triggers enhancement
> > which is needed for boot time improvements
>
> Is dpkg handling the boot sequence? Or are you confusing that with
> dependency-based initscripts?

I hope I'm not mis-stating Frans's position when I say that Frans
believes dpkg triggers are the best way to install dependency-based
initscripts[0].  Otherwise the installer unnecessarily and repetitively
globally recalculates initscript dependencies for each package installed.

I expect dpkg triggers would also be valuable for things like mktexlsr
runs when working with texlive.

--Mike Bird

[0] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=465587#35