Re: dpkg semi-hijack - an announcement (also, triggers)

On Sun March 9 2008 12:27:59 Faidon Liambotis wrote:
> I can't understand how a Debian Developer, let alone a Technical
> Comittee member, can find it acceptable to hijack a package actively
> maintained because of technical disagreements with its maintainer.
> Especially if that package is a core package such as dpkg.

How would you feel if a bunch of less-than-stellar programmers took over
one of your programs (Ian wrote dpkg) and blocked your changes for six
months while they reformatted the white space and tried to learn basic
C programming?

The old dpkg team has not so much been actively maintaining dpkg as
actively blocking maintenance of dpkg.  They've been fumbling around
for six months, messing with white space and making minor changes,
while blocking Ian's enhancements.  Every indication is that the old
dpkg team is way out of its depth and should work their way up through
simpler programming tasks before taking on something as crucial as dpkg.

On the other hand, fer crissake Ian stop using 0 for NULL!  You can use
(char*)NULL if it helps.

--Mike Bird