Re: RFC: new approach to handling conffiles

On Sat, Mar 08, 2008 at 04:08:29PM +0100, sean finney wrote:
> hiya,
>
> On Saturday 08 March 2008 12:27:58 pm Martin Uecker wrote:
>
> > Please do not use a md5sum. Having the original conf file installed
> > as reference is usefull for the admin too and making the path a md5sum
> > just makes it harder too find. Having the full path is interesting for
> > other reasons, because it makes this upstream-etc directory similar to
> > real one which is usefull for comparison.
>
> i agree this would make life easier for the local admin.  however, i think if
> there's any other reason why the checksum based implementation is easier/more
> reliable for  dpkg to handle, then i would still suggest that approach, as

It don't see how maintaining a directory structure should be a big
problem (it's a package manager after all!), but I haven't thought
about it at all.

> all the necessary information is available for a small helper utility or
> shell script to reconstruct the directory hierarchy for a diff.  i.e., the
> following one-liner:
>
> sudo xargs -n1 -i sh -c 'diff -Nu {} /var/lib/dpkg/conffiles/foo/`printf {} |
> md5sum | cut -d" " -f1` && echo "{}: unchanged"'
> < /var/lib/dpkg/info/foo.conffiles
>
> which in its ugliness could be hidden behind a command name
> like "dpkg-conffile diff foo" or similar. but regardless, i'm happy to keep
> the implementation to whichever direction the dpkg folks feel is better.

I am not a dpkg developer so I only speak as a potential user. As user
I would find it a lot more usefull to have the /etc structure directly
preserved.

Martin