Re: Review of file exclusion branch requested

On Sun, 20 Jan 2008, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> I haven't squashed the history yet (how do I do that?), but I've at
> least pushed what I have, so you can take a look (or point and laugh
> :-), at your leisure.

Squashing everything into a single commit can be done by creating a new
branch based on dpkg's master tree and then use "git-merge --squash
<yourbranch>" to integrate the changes done in your own branch.

You can have finer control with "git rebase -i <original branch>" where
you can reorder/remove/merge changesets that are not part of <original
branch>. (this is to be done on your branch)

Also you have the possibility to simply use "git-reset --soft" to go back in
history (at the point where you created your branch) and keep the current
content of the repository and after that use git add -i to interactively
select which changes you want to add for the next commit (and thus redo
the history manually).

And of course, you can combine all those if you want. :-)

Raphaël Hertzog