Re: Review of file exclusion branch requested

On Sat, 2008-01-05 at 09:48 -0200, Otavio Salvador wrote:
> Tollef Fog Heen <tfheen@err.no> writes:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've finally gotten around to fixing up my support for excluding bits
> > of packages as they are unpacked.  It can be gotten from
> > git://git.err.no/dpkg in the master branch (sorry about that, it
> > should probably have gone in a separate branch).
>
> What would be the usage scenario for it? Embedded devices?

Yes, it was originally something that I set out to do at DebConf7 but
Tollef came up with a better implementation of my patch.

Once dpkg filtering is supported upon installation, I'll be looking at
extending Tollef's work into filtering upon build so that I can further
reduce the number of patches required to strip out unwanted components
of Debian packages for Emdebian, in conjunction with support for noudeb,
nodocs etc.

dpkg-filtering upon installation isn't a complete solution for embedded
devices because the device still has to download the entire package and
unpack it - it is better to combine installation filtering with
rebuilding the package upstream so that the device actually has room to
unpack the .deb before starting filtering. Nevertheless, filtering is a
powerful addition to embedded support in dpkg and Debian, especially for
packages that contain lots of small files to be filtered out and where
patches to remove those files are unnecessarily intrusive. (I'm thinking
here of package files that Debian must include, due to Policy, but which
Emdebian and others can actually do without.) However, for more powerful
embedded devices, dpkg filtering may be all they need to be able to run
normal Debian packages.

Other uses include easier support for testing package changes such as
splits and moving files between packages or replacing the static
"Essential" list with a volatile list of packages selected during the
installation. e.g. Emdebian already disregards "Essential" in order to
reduce the size of the root filesystem - however the idea of "Essential"
is still useful so Emdebian is considering how to implement a
device-specific Essential list that is much smaller than the current
Debian default. After all, apt doesn't care whether a package is
Essential to your machine when running on my machine - it only cares
about what is Essential to the current device.

I can envisage testing for package splits by filtering out certain
package components during install, seeing which applications actually
need those components and thereby devising a new package split that
operates on a *functional* basis instead of an archive basis.

--

Neil Williams