regarding poilicy section 6.6 point 4

In the php5 package, the current situation is that /etc/php5/cgi/conf.d
is a symlink to /etc/php5/conf.d; By failing to know that, we in a local
package installed a file under /etc/php5/cgi/conf.d/admin.ini, which
went on without any problem. But due that the php5 package had been
updated, a problem arised, which resulted in following error:

      (Reading database ... 28064 files and directories currently installed.)
      Preparing to replace php5-cgi 5.2.0-8+etch11 (using
.../php5-cgi_5.2.0-8+etch13_powerpc.deb) ...
      Unpacking replacement php5-cgi ...
      dpkg: error processing
/var/cache/apt/archives/php5-cgi_5.2.0-8+etch13_powerpc.deb
(--unpack):
      trying to overwrite `/etc/php5/cgi/conf.d', which is also in
package bubba-frontend
      /var/cache/apt/archives/php5-cgi_5.2.0-8+etch13_powerpc.deb

After some discussion at #debian-devel, a pinter to section 6.6 point 4
in the policy where given, and that the point in particular was in
effect for etch as well, which states:

	A directory will never be replaced by a symbolic link to a directory
or vice versa;
	instead, the existing state (symlink or not) will be left alone and
dpkg will follow
	the symlink if there is one.

My interpreation of the policy is that the above error shouln't arise,
even though we should have installed the config file under
/etc/php5/conf.d anyway, as it wouldn't make any runtime difference
(somewhat a bug in the php5 packages). So I ask you if this is an bug,
or that out interpreation of the poliy is lousy at best.

/Carl

--
/Carl Fürstenberg <azatoth@gmail.com>