Re: [SCM] dpkg's main repository branch, master, updated. 1.14.20-100-g4174eea

On Sun, 06 Jul 2008, Christian Perrier wrote:
> I'm not convinced this would be a great idea to merge po/ directories
> with the VCS merge facilities.

If we have conflicts, the merge is a pain and we should use msgmerge to
merge properly both files.

But if we have no conflicts (because the po files have not been modified
since the creation of the branch that we're merging), then the VCS merge
functionnality is fine...

> I think that the following would be much more efficient:

It would be great to have such a script to merge all translations from
another branch in the current branch.

> (assuming that a copy of the lenny branch is in lenny/ and a copy of
> master is in master/)

One should not make such an assumption... we have a single repository in
the git model. But we have tools to use to extract files from another
branch.

git-unpack-file / git-cat-file to extract blog objects
but I don't know yet how to identify the blog id of a given file in
another branch.

Raphaël Hertzog