howto listen for conffile trigger activation?

How can I configure my Debian system to listen for conffile trigger
activation, and get the maintainer's version of the conffile?

I maintain a Subversion repository for machines that I administer. The
repository contains nightly backups of important files, and a Makefile
to rebuild the machine if it fails. If it fails, ideally I can
automatically rebuild the machine as it was less than 24 hours before.

The repository also helps when machines are maintained collaboratively.
Configuration changes are committed to Subversion, and machines are
rebuilt on a regular basis.

In the repository I have a branch for local versions of conffiles, and a
branch for package maintainer versions. Currently I manually add
conffiles to the package maintainer branch before making local changes.
I also commit ".dpkg-new" files to the maintainer branch.

I am excited by the potential for dpkg triggers to automate this for me.
I want to configure each machine to listen for conffile trigger
activation and copy the package maintainer's version to the maintainer
branch in Subversion.

Then, when I upgrade a bunch of packages, I would get a commit log entry
describing changes to conffiles by package maintainers. I could
selectively merge these changes into the local conffile branch.

But despite what I've read about dpkg triggers, I'm still not sure how
to configure each machine to listen for conffile trigger activation? I
am also not sure, when my trigger listener handles the activation, how
to get the package maintainer's version of the conffile?

Thanks and best wishes, Jack