Re: Bootstrapping (building) dpkg

Hi,

On Mon, 28 Apr 2008, Helge Kreutzmann wrote:
> After installing the build-dependencies and additionally cvs and
> libpam0g the build dies quite early with:
> remaxp:/tmp/dpkg# make -f debian/rules build
> dh_testdir
> autoreconf -v -i
> autoreconf: Entering directory `.'
> autoreconf: running: autopoint
> autoreconf: running: aclocal -I m4 --output=aclocal.m4t
> aclocal: macro `AM_PROG_MKDIR_P' required but not defined
> aclocal: macro `AM_PROG_MKDIR_P' required but not defined
> autoreconf: aclocal failed with exit status: 1
> make: *** [configure] Fehler 1
>
> Is there some document describing how to (re-)build dpkg from sources?

I don't know of any such document. You need autoconf/automake/gettext
and possibly other related tools (never quite sure of the exact list,
discovered the other day that cvs was really needed due to some gettext
macros extracting data from a compressed CVS repository).

It looks like that automake is missing in your case (AM_ is the prefix for
automake macros).

Note that the build-dependencies do not list those as they are not needed
when you use tarballs containing a "./configure" ready to use and we
generate those with "make dist" when we release a new dpkg.

Raphaël Hertzog