Re: git bikeshedding (Re: triggers in dpkg, and dpkg maintenance)

On Sun, 02 Mar 2008, Robert Collins wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-03-02 at 02:09 -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
>

> > And I am completely *sure* it would not be irrelevant for me were I
> > debugging dpkg without a full, complete, dpkg-regular-developer level of
> > understanding of the code.   Or if I were trying to understand how dpkg
> > works, so as to start working on dpkg, for that matter.
>
> Well, when I sat down some years back to do a couple of things with
> dpkg; I found no need to consult change logs to understand the current
> code of the time. Perhaps its quality has massively decreased since; yet
> somehow I doubt that.

VCS have improved over time and it makes sense to use them wisely to make
it even easier to understand one's changes and to let even more people
help out without having to spend hours to understand all parts of the
code.

There's no question of code quality, but simply of good work habits and
of policy decided by the dpkg team.

Now please let this thread die. The dpkg team could have used all your
energy in other more productive ways. It's not like we have a backlog
of 500 bugs to handle...

Raphaël Hertzog