Re: git bikeshedding (Re: triggers in dpkg, and dpkg maintenance)

On Friday 29 February 2008 6:16:59 am Otavio Salvador wrote:
> Ian Jackson <ian@davenant.greenend.org.uk> writes:
> > Raphael Hertzog writes ("Re: git bikeshedding (Re: triggers in dpkg, and
dpkg maintenance)"):
> >> As soon as you edit commits, they'll get a new id, and thus you'll
> >> disrupt merging.
> >
> > As I thought.
> >
> > What I am trying to achieve is to use git in the proper way: that is,
> > in a way which makes merging work properly.
> >
> > Insisting that I use git in a manner which makes merges break but
> > gives prettier logfiles is absurd.
>
> That's why you should avoid using the branch as basis to others until
> it's clean and also avoid to make it public (without a reason) too.

Whatever happened to "release early, release often"?

I prefer to make everything public unless I have a reason not to.  It lets
anyone interested help out, and it makes less work for me because I don't
have to keep track of what should be public and what shouldn't.