debconf: Bad file descriptor

Hi,

Please redirect me to the correct list if this happens to be off-topic here.

A post installation script on a private debian package performs the following:

mount /dev/hda2 /mnt/hda
mount -t proc none /mnt/hda/proc
chroot /mnt/hda /bin/bash -c 'apt-get install portmap'

Which finishes with,

Setting up portmap (5-26) ...
/usr/share/debconf/confmodule: line 42: 3: Bad file descriptor
dpkg: error processing portmap (--configure):

Line 42 is performing a 'set' command.

If I manually chroot and type 'apt-get install portmap' everything runs fine.

I am puzzled as to what the difference is between the manual or automated way.

Package details are:

debconf 1..5.11
apt  0.6.46.4-0.1
dpkg 1.13.25