Re: Aptitude installation

On Thu, Dec 27, 2007 at 06:13:48AM -0800, oransky@sbcglobal.net was heard to say:
> I am trying to install gcc and it cannot access ftp.debian.org to install the package.  I am using aptitude to do this.  I cannot ping ftp.debian.org, so the server appears  inaccessible.  Is there a different mirror site I can install packages from?  If so, how do I tell aptitude to install from that site?

  The appropriate list for your question is debian-user@lists.debian.org.
I will Cc it there.

  It looks like you have ftp.debian.org in your sources.list.
ftp.debian.org is a deprecated server that should not be used as a
package source, as per this email by Josip Rodin:

    http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2007/12/msg00002.html

  This may or may not be related to your problem, but you would probably
be better off using a country mirror alias as detailed in that email (for
instance, ftp.us.debian.org if you live in the US).  Edit
/etc/apt/sources.list and change all occurrences of ftp.debian.org to
the server that's appropriate for you.

  Daniel