dpkg, non-root user, and chown

Hi All,

I've a special goal : to use dpkg as our packaging & deploy main utility
here.

A non-root user is responsible for building & installing software on
shared resources.
Users will load & execute applications (and libraries) using a special
environment file and accessing read-only the above mentioned shared
resource.

For that goal I'd like to elaborate and expect your comments on this
precise point : dpkg management of owner/group during package
installation.

Packages are created conforming to Debian Policy
(http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ap-pkg-binarypkg.html).
Inside data.tar.gz file are owned by the (special) user who did the
build (not a user, but a administrative account in our service).
Dpkg shall then install those files with that particular owner.

I launch dpkg with the --force-not-root option.
But I get errors like :
    error setting ownership of `whatever': Not owner

In dpkg source code this is (maybe I'm wrong) located in archive.c :
src/archives.c:273:    ohshite(_("error setting ownership of `
%.255s'"),ti->Name);
src/archives.c:667:      ohshite(_("error setting ownership of `
%.255s'"),ti->Name);
src/archives.c:712:      ohshite(_("error setting ownership of symlink `
%.255s'"),ti->Name);
src/archives.c:717:      ohshite(_("error setting ownership of symlink `
%.255s'"),ti->Name);

I've read the dpkg-statoverride man page.
But is there a method to install files like they are in package, without
using dpkg-statoverride ? A simple option to dpkg ?

Best regards
Michel

This e-mail is intended only for the above addressee. It may contain privileged information.
If you are not the addressee you must not copy, distribute, disclose or use any of the information in it.
If you have received it in error please delete it and immediately notify the sender.
Security Notice: all e-mail, sent to or from this address, may be accessed by someone other than the recipient, for system management and security reasons. This access is controlled under Regulation of security reasons.
This access is controlled under Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000, Lawful Business Practises.