Re: Manual pages and POD format

On Tue, Sep 25, 2007 at 04:26:33PM +0300, Jari Aalto wrote:
> I noticed that current ones are traditional roff. With POD the pages
> would be easier to edit and maintain, and diffs would be more clear too.
>
> If there would be interest in changing to use the Perl POD format I'll
> volunteer for the work.

After doing some work on the man pages these last few days I actually
wondered the same thing. Editing roff directly is just no fun at all...

Before switching to a new format it would be good to research the
alternatives, though. I personally know docbook-to-man (which is no huge
win in readability in my opinion ;), POD (very simple, but also somewhat
limited in what you can express), and asciidoc (has more possibilities
than POD while still being simple, but the syntax isn't really stable
[see recent version 7 -> version 8 move] and somehwat underdocumented).

Other opinions/alternatives?

Gruesse,
--
Frank Lichtenheld <djpig@debian.org>