New Git repository

Hello everybody,

I just finished creating the git repository with as much history as I
could reasonably gather (old tarballs from Ian, CVS history, tarballs of
uploads during the Arch period, and finally SVN history).

http://git.debian.org/?p=dpkg/dpkg.git;a=summary

I've already setup git commit notices that are sent out whenever someone
pushes stuff in the repository. I had to hack the post-receive-email hook
script provided by git. I shall test it soon with a small commit. :)

For committers:
---------------

You get read/write access if you use the ssh url:
$ git clone ssh://git.debian.org/git/dpkg/dpkg.git

For anonymous access:
---------------------
$ git clone git://git.debian.org/git/dpkg/dpkg.git

Basic commands:
---------------

Doing changes and committing and pushing:
$ cd dpkg.git
$ vi file
$ git add file
$ git commit
$ git push

Getting latest changes:
$ git pull

This works well as long as you work only in the master branch (equivalent
of "trunk" in git world). For more advanced usage, you'll have to read
some git documentation. :-)

Try out
-------
There's a "sandbox" repository at ssh://git.debian.org/git/dpkg/test.git
if you want to play and try out because you're not yet familiar with git.

Future
------
The repository is up-to-date with the SVN, so it would be best if we would
switch directly so that I don't have to reimport the newer commits in git. :-)

Raphaël Hertzog