Re: (fwd) Draft spec for new dpkg "triggers" feature

Ian Jackson <ian@davenant.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

> Frank Küster writes ("Re: (fwd) Draft spec for new dpkg "triggers" feature"):
>> Ah, the wording was unclear to me.  So, in
>>
>> ,----
>> | File triggers [...] are activated when the specified filesystem
>> | object, or any object under the specified subdirectory, is created,
>> | updated or deleted by dpkg
>> `----
>>
>> "under" does not only cover files directly in a subdirectory, but
>> anything in the hierarchy below it.  Maybe this should be worded more
>> clearly.
>
> I'm not sure which word you think I should use.  `In' would be
> ambiguous and might suggest `only in that specific directory'.  And
> later I say:
>                    ...   Only textually identical filenames (or
>  filenames where the interest is a directory prefix of the installed
>  file) are guaranteed to match.

This latter sentence is clear, I missed it.  The first one could be
phrased "any object in the filesystem hierarchy under the specified
directory".

>> > Surely this is not possible, because the system administrator (or some
>> > other automatic process) might change files in /etc by hand.
>>
>> I'm not sure I understand you.  I understood, however, that I was not
>> writing as exact as I should have:
>> s/file changes/file is changed by dpkg/.
>
> So these files have a note in them saying you have to run
> update-updmap if you change them ?  Obviously solving the problem just
> for dpkg's changes to the files isn't sufficient.

There's no problem to solve with hand-editing: If users find these
files, they'll also notice that they need to run update-updmap before
updmap.  The only real problem is that currently each package that
installs files in this directory runs updmap in postinst, which takes
quite long, and this problem can be solved well with triggers.

Regards, Frank
--
Dr. Frank Küster
Debian Developer (teTeX/TeXLive)