Re: Texinfo vs. Debian install-info, new upstream texinfo

I was wondering, what is the current status of this issue?

Ian Zimmerman wrote:
I have both a C version (in the from of a patch to the existing
install-info code),
and perl and python standalone scripts.

I fully agree with Karl that the standalone scripts are preferable.
Unfortunately,
that conflicts with the original motivation, which was to fix Debian
post-install script breakage.  I wish they could simply drop the
install-info in this context and started using my Perl or Python
scripts , but I guess compatibility considerations won't allow that.

Note my present address, in the Cc.