Re: Manual pages and POD format

* Tue 2007-09-25 Frank Lichtenheld <djpig AT debian.org>
> On Tue, Sep 25, 2007 at 04:26:33PM +0300, Jari Aalto wrote:
>
>> I noticed that current ones are traditional roff. With POD the pages
>> would be easier to edit and maintain, and diffs would be more clear too.
>>
>> If there would be interest in changing to use the Perl POD format I'll
>> volunteer for the work.
>
> After doing some work on the man pages these last few days I actually
> wondered the same thing. Editing roff directly is just no fun at all...
>
> Before switching to a new format it would be good to research the
> alternatives, though. I personally know docbook-to-man (which is no huge
> win in readability in my opinion ;), POD (very simple, but also somewhat
> limited in what you can express), and asciidoc (has more possibilities
> than POD while still being simple, but the syntax isn't really stable
> [see recent version 7 -> version 8 move] and somehwat underdocumented).

POD is well suited for program manuals. Here is and example I wrote to
demonstrate POD to the Curl author:

  http://cante.net/~jaalto/tmp/curl.new/curl.1.html
  http://cante.net/~jaalto/tmp/curl.new/curl.1.pod
  http://cante.net/~jaalto/tmp/curl.new/curl.1

The good thing is that it's a native Perl format. Generating asciidoc
pages is slower from what I have experiences and would add a extra
dependency.

Jari

--
Welcome to FOSS revolution: we fix and modify until it shines