Re: Creating perl modules for dpkg-dev

Hi,

On Thu, 31 May 2007, Guillem Jover wrote:
> As part of the clean up of dpkg-dev perl scripts, I plan to start
> moving part of the functionlity to proper new style perl modules. At
> least for now «controllib.pl». Those will be private modules, no other
> package should expect a stable api, this might (or not) change in the
> future.

Full ack. My current work on improved dpkg-shlideps creates a few object
to parse objdump output, and to handle symbols files. It would be great if
those modules could be integrated in a Dpkg:: namespace later.

While I understand the lack of API for what's intern to dpkg-dev I also
believe that we should provide a public API because some functions are
badly needed.

For instance, a perl function to compare Debian versions. First
implementation could rely on dpkg --compare-versions (or specific perl
code) and later when you introduce libdpkg, the function can be modified
to use a perl binding.

Raphaël Hertzog