Re: dpkg needs working dpkg to build

Hi,

On Sun, 2007-04-29 at 19:22:33 +0200, Andreas Florath wrote:
> When compiling dpkg on a computer without a working and already
> installed dpkg, the architecture is not set correctly.  The following is
> done during the run of the configuration script:
>
> bash-3.2$ ./dpkg-architecture.pl -ti686-pc-linux-gnu -qDEB_HOST_ARCH_CPU
> dpkg-architecture.pl: failure: dpkg --print-architecture failed: No such
> file or directory
>
> which results in an empty ARCHITECTURE in the new build dpkg.
>
> Is this a (known) bug or a feature?  How to compile dpkg first time?

A minor bug, given that people do not bootstrap that often. Anyway
this can be fixed, as «dpkg --print-architecture» is only needed to
set the $deb_build_arch, which is not needed at all for DEB_HOST_ARCH*
variables (well, that's not enterely true, it might need setting if gcc
is not present, but in that case you cannot build dpkg anyway ;).

So the code setting $deb_build_arch could be changed to do that on
demand. I'll put that in the TODO list, for a future refactoring of
the code, for now the fastest way is what Andreas said.

regards,
guillem