Re: (fwd) Draft spec for new dpkg "triggers" feature

Ian Jackson <ian@davenant.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

> Frank Küster writes ("Re: (fwd) Draft spec for new dpkg "triggers" feature"):
>> Ian Jackson <ian@davenant.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
>> > I have answered your `use case' already: you should see which file is
>> > causing the breakage, and who installed that file.  The triggers
>> > mechanism is _not suitable_ because the information about `which
>> > package caused the trigger' is _wrong_ for this use case !
>>
>> *I* do see it, *if* I manage to get updmap.log.  The user sees it easier
>> if it is displayed by dpkg, and he'll more probably tell me this, by
>> just pasting dpkg's output in the bug report.
>
> So have your machinery squirt updmap.log to stderr at the appropriate
> point and voila! it will appear in front of the user for their
> delectation and delight.

Yes, and they usually will report

"It spit out lots of errors, the last (hopefully relevant) lines being

updmap: This is fatal, exiting
dpkg: texlive-base-bin trigger '/etc/texmf/updmap.d' failed
dpkg: texlive-base-bin failed to configure

What's wrong with your damn packages?"

Maybe you could convince me if you explain me why it is so difficult or
problematic to implement a dpkg message which packages required a
trigger?

>> I also don't see how the information would be wrong.  dpkg would say:
>> dpkg: trigger "foo" owned by package "bar" failed.  This trigger has
>>   been requested by the packages "baz-a, baz-b, baz-c".
>> It wouldn't claim that any of baz-* are responsible for the breakage, it
>> just gives a hint "try these if you want to reproduce the bug".
>
> As explained previously, the packages that would be listed might be
> unrelated to the one that was the cause.

But the first time it fails, the relevant package will be among the
list, won't it?

Regards, Frank
--
Dr. Frank Küster