Re: Working on dpkg during Debconf

On Thu, 2006-05-18 at 15:08:09 -0500, Frank Lichtenheld wrote:
> On Fri, May 05, 2006 at 04:47:03AM +0300, Guillem Jover wrote:
> > I'll write more tomorrow about what are my plans... (now I'm too
> > tired).
>
> Any chance of doing that?

Better late than never...

I want done in the dpkg for the etch release:

* Add multi-arch support.
* Add armel support and by extension uclibc and other variants to
  be easily allowed or added. The main problem I'm facing with this
  one is a nice a clean implementation, the PoC and the idea how to
  fix it is present already.
* At least perl scripts in dpkg using strict and warnings (the ones in
  dpkg-dev can be switched later), I've a patch already for this, just
  needs some review.
* Make dpkg-checkbuilddeps easier to use by other programs such as
  pbuilder or sbuild, so that they can start using the new
  architecture wildcards automatically.
* Add --admindir support in scripts making use of it, have patches for
  this one as well.
* Get rid of install-info.

Probably would be nice to get:

* The cleverer conffile support bug fixed.
* Add lzma support (once and iff the package gets out of NEW).
* Add UTF-8 support to all programs.
* Add md5sums and/or sha1sums package support.
* Triage as much bugs as possible to get the bug count below 300 ;) and
  merge as much patches as possible.
* Allow packages to register additional files.

Maybe more things as I wade through the bug reports, but for now this
list seems a nice start. Also I want this stuff done, I don't really
mind if someone else wants to work on any of those. =) But I'll get to
it eventually anyway.

regards,
guillem