Re: Working on dpkg during Debconf

Hi,

On Thu, May 11, 2006 at 09:21:35PM -0500, Frank Lichtenheld wrote:
> [...]
> First of all there seem to be at least four distinct areas of testing:
> 1.) Unit tests for the C parts
> 2.) Run tests for the C implemented programs
> 3.) Unit tests for the Perl parts
> 4.) Run tests for the Perl implemented programs
>
> Parts 2 and 4 can probably implemented together, while the Parts 1
> and 4 are probably very specific in their implementations. Part 3
> is not an issue yet anyway since the perl code isn't written in
> a way that makes unit tests possible (although it's definetly a goal
> of me to change that - sometime).
>
> I honestly only have some experiences with parts 3 and 4. So any
> implementation proposals for 1 and 2 (and thereby maybe 4) are certainly
> welcome.

    In my initial proposal for a dpkg testing framework, I used the "check" C
unittest library (it's packaged for Debian, see the "check" package). I
reviewed a couple of them, and "check" seemed one of the best. Perhaps that
can help for 1. As for 2, I would also make them the same as 4.

    Another thing I personally would like to see is some integration between
the four parts (that's why I tried first with DejaGNU). At the very least,
there should be just one command to execute all the tests. Have you thought
about this?

> Part 2 has the big problem that many tests probably need root
> privileges...

    It seems you need to chroot to a directory when using the --root option.
Is there any way to chroot while not being the root user? If not, perhaps we
could use sudo, or something like that, to execute tests...

    Regards,

--
Esteban Manchado Velázquez <zoso@debian.org>
Help spread it through the Net in signatures, webpages, whatever!