dpkg in etch+1, changes from ubuntu

FYI:

As part of our merge at the start of our release cycle, I've just done
a review of the current differences between Debian's version (1.13.24)
and what I've just uploaded into Ubuntu's development branch.

I think all of the changes are ones that Debian should take, but they
should generally wait until after etch.  There are a few changes that
might be nice for etch but stability is probably more important than
long-overdue bugfixes at this point.

Most of the changes are already represented in existing Debian bug
reports, with patches attached.  The main exceptions are:
  * The bug with the full implementation of Breaks doesn't have the
    right version of the patch.  (#379140)
  * There are some spurious file overwrite conflicts with symlinks
    to directories; this misfeature is not reported in the Debian BTS
    at all atm for some reason (oversight by me, probably).
    There's a vague description at https://launchpad.net/bugs/22340.

I could spend the effort to dig out separate patches for these but I
think the right answer is for Debian to take all of the changes
currently in Ubuntu as soon as etch is forked off.  Does everyone
agree ?

The changelog entry, which summarises all of the differences between
Ubuntu's latest dpkg, and the latest one in sid, is below.

Ian.

dpkg (1.13.24ubuntu1) feisty; urgency=low

  * Merge from debian unstable.
    Remaining differences from Debian to Ubuntu follow:

  Miscellaneous fixes:
  * Fix for Debian #378003 (multiple deconfigurations).
  * mlib contains m_strdup (part of the fix for Debian #379028).
  * dpkg: add missing newline to an error message.
    (LP 29729, submitted upstream as Debian #390914.)
  * Fix formatting of these files:
       lib/showpkg.c
       lib/tarfn.c
       src/configure.c
       src/archives.c (function quote_filename only)
    to conform to the rest of dpkg by running them through
    expand -t2 (and in the last case using M-x indent-rigidly once).
    As discussed on debian-dpkg.  Submitted upstream as Debian #375711.
  * dpkg: describedepcon uses more l10n-friendly approach.
    (LP 63744, submitted upstream as Debian #390916.)
  * dpkg-source: respect g+s and umask when extracting.
    (LP 51468, submitted upstream as Debian #390915.)
    The new behaviour is that the only thing which matters about the
    permissions specified in the archive is whether an object has execute
    permission for anyone, as for chmod =X.  Set-id (of files and
    directories) and read/write permissions from the archive are ignored.
    Permissions are determined by the umask; group ownership and
    directory-setgid according the usual filesystem policies.
  * Don't consider it a file conflict if the package contains
    a symlink to a directory where another package already contains the
    same symlink/directory and the existing and new symlinks point to the
    same place.  (Launchpad 22340.  Apparently not reported upstream yet.)

  Implementation of Breaks: