Re: How are things going?

Ian Jackson <ian@davenant.greenend.org.uk> writes:
> Brendan O'Dea writes ("Re: How are things going?"):

>> Merging changes to dpkg from Ubuntu to Debian seems daft.  Why have two
>> repositories?

> Debian and Ubuntu sometimes have different views about things and I
> don't think either would be happy necessarily using the same branch.

Could you give an example of what sort of thing you anticipate being
different?  Beyond timing of releases, which could be dealt with via
branches within the same repository, I can't think of anything.

(Of course, this point is moot if using a revision control system where
branches are separate repositories anyway.)

I would hope that the ongoing goal would be for Ubuntu and Debian to use
the same dpkg as much as possible, with deviations only around release
freezes.  I can't think of anything immediately obvious that would make
that a bad idea.  But maybe my imagination is insufficient.