dpkg testing framework (was: Re: Working on dpkg during Debconf)

Hi all,

On Thu, May 11, 2006 at 09:21:35PM -0500, Frank Lichtenheld wrote:
> [...]
> I honestly only have some experiences with parts 3 and 4. So any
> implementation proposals for 1 and 2 (and thereby maybe 4) are certainly
> welcome.
>
> Part 2 has the big problem that many tests probably need root
> privileges...

    This was definitely "solved" a couple of months ago, so it seems we don't
really have any problems to start designing the testing framework.

    As for the implementation proposals, I would like to start doing
something, if possible. Is there any information page or Wiki where we can
write down some ideas and coordinate? Should I setup a new project at Alioth,
so we can install some Wiki and start writing things?

    I also would like to collect opinions as to how the system should look
like.  My 2 cents, as I said, are that I think that all tests should be
"integrated" somehow, so their execution method and output formats are the
same.  We already have that with DejaGNU, but I can understand that people
don't like Tcl (I don't like it, either :-) ). I made a couple of random tests
with the libtap format (Perl tests' output format), but I'm not sure they are
the way to go.

    Anyhow, I would like to start some testing framework prototype, even if
it's completely different from the one I already made... But, this time, I
would like to know your opinions before starting another to-be-thrown-away
testing framework prototype :-)

    Regards,

--
Esteban Manchado Velázquez <zoso@debian.org>
Help spread it through the Net in signatures, webpages, whatever!