Re: multiarch support and dpkg 2.0 design document

Hello Frank,

Frank Lichtenheld <djpig@debian.org> wrote:
> One thing that I wondered about while reading the document are the
> restriction on what filters and classes can do. As I understand it,
> filters are intended to work on the meta-data and classes are intended
> to reflect that meta-data in the system.
>
> But lets take the proposed implementation of dpkg-divert in filters
> as an example: Wouldn't that require that the filter moves a file
> from a different package around (to divert it away) and changes it
> meta-data (to reflect the move). Is a filter allowed to do such
> things?

As I understand it the filter marks the file in other packages to be
moved. I think of a filte as a kind of blackbox where you put in your
meta data and it tells you what the classes should do. The divert filter
would tell you to move this file from other packages away and should tell
nothing for the package that introduced the diversion. The class see only
that the file in place should be moved and a new file should be
installed. Why? It need not care about.

Have a nice day, Jörg.
--
Wer in einem gewissen Alter nicht merkt, dass er hauptsächlich von
Idioten umgeben ist, merkt es aus einem gewissen Grunde nicht.