Problem with apt-get & perl package

Hello, all,
	After constantly encountering problems with installing gnome
via apt-get, I finally just decided to build it from the source.  That
went fine... until I went to build the gnome-session package.  Well, it
wasn't satisfied with my perl.  So, I went in and did "apt-get install
perl", and it tells me it depends on perl-base, but it says perl-base is
already the newest version.  Is there a way to fix this, and/or make it
ignore that issue and move on with installing/reinstalling perl?

Thanks,
Terrence