Re: comments/string changes and issues with dpkg's messages

On Κυριακή 28 Αύγουστος 2005 12:52, Scott James Remnant wrote:
> It's an interesting question, certainly; to my mind I don't think
> it's any scarier to dump a scary english message or a scary french
> one.  The added advantage to translating them is that the user
> might have the skill to know what's going wrong and fix it, the
> disadvantage is that I have to un-translate them when the error
> reports come in.

There is a simple solution one to this problem, one which I see is
implemented in professional J2EE platforms, and not only there.

Use unique codes in error messages alongside with the translatable
text, so instead of having just:

error: xyz: stat

instead use the following:

error: E0943: Could not stat file for xyz

That way both the developers and the users know what is the error.

I'm pretty sure that with a well defined schema for errors (eg. EXXXX
for errors, WXXXX for warnings, IXXXX for informational msgs. etc),
it would benefit everyone.

Konstantinos